Absolutely nothing beats knowing how to get rid of pet odor when caring for pets. There are some simple remedies for whatever pet accidents you have to deal with. Usually, they involve using things you have around the house. Granted, you can get professional help to get rid of pet odor, but DIYs work too.
Below are 11 hacks we recommend to help you get rid of pet odor.
11 Best Ways to Get Rid of Pet Odor in Your House Fast
1. Vinegar to getting Rid of Pet Odor
If you are wondering how to get rid of pet odor in carpet, then vinegar is the best option for you.
Naturally, vinegar works great for removing stains and smells. You can use vinegar to remove pet smells by spraying some vinegar (white or apple cedar) on the urine patch and let sit.
- Dilute vinegar with some water in a spray bottle.
- Spray on affected areas and let it sit overnight.
- The vinegar helps to neutralize the strong offensive odor from the air.
- For a fresher fragrance, you can finish off with some fragrant air freshener.
2. Baking Soda for Pet Odor
If you are looking for how to get rid of pet odor on couch, you should consider baking powder.
This problem certainly ranks at the top of pet-related problems, according to pet owners.
However, this is a simple remedy to help you get rid of pet odor on couch.
- Sprinkle a thin amount of baking soda on the patch.
- Cover it with some tissue and let it stay on overnight.
- In the morning, remove the tissues and dust the baking soda, and dispose of them properly.
- The baking soda absorbs and neutralizes bad smells.
- For extra fragrance, spritz some air freshener in the air around your home.
3. Water + Baking soda
This is another great way to get rid of pet odor with just water and baking soda. It is pretty easy to use too.
- To get rid of pet odor smell for old stains, you need to first wet the spot.
- After wetting the spot, apply a thin layer of baking soda. This helps break down the baking soda enough that it absorbs the bad odor.
- Cover the patch with some tissues and let it sit there overnight.
- Get rid of the tissues and baking soda the next day.
4. Water for Pet Odor
For those wondering how to get rid of pet odor in yard, the answer is simple.
When the offensive odor is in your yard, plain old water will do the trick.
- Use a sprinkler or a hose in the area. The water dilutes the offensive odor and washes it into the ground.
- Follow up with a citrus fragrance to prevent your pet from peeing there again.
5. Baking soda + Vinegar to Remove Pet Odor
Baking soda works wonders in helping you get rid of pet odor.
- Sprinkle the area in your yard with baking soda and let it sit.
- Pour vinegar on the area to discourage your pet from peeing there again.
- The smell of vinegar will prevent your pet from marking that place as their territory.
6. Cleaning Solution + Vinegar
Are you wondering how to get rid of pet odor on concrete? Don’t worry, there is a simple solution.
Concrete, due to its porous nature, absorbs liquids. However, a mixture of regular cleaning solution and vinegar will get rid of pet odor.
The solution gets absorbed into the concrete and neutralizes the odors.
- Mix equal parts cleaning solution and vinegar together.
- Apply mixture to affected area and allow it to get absorbed.
- Spray the area with some air freshener once the vinegar mixture has been absorbed.
Also Read –7 Best Ways to Remove Dog Pee from Carpet at Home
7. Hydrogen Peroxide + Vinegar
Hydrogen peroxide (an oxidizing agent) combines with vinegar to get rid of pet odor and stains.
This combination dissolves the smell in the urine and eliminates it almost completely.
- Combine vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in a 2:1 ratio.
- Spray the mixture on the area.
- Pet odors in that area would be a thing of the past.
8. Apply a Layer of Paint on the Area
Many don’t know this but you can use paint to get rid of pet odor.
This method is usually recommended if the stain is in a place that was painted before.
- Locate the site where your pet had the accident.
- Scrape a thin layer off of the top and apply a fresh coat of paint.
- Alternatively, you can apply paint in the general direction if you can’t find the source.
9. Baking Soda Dry Bath
Yes, you can use baking soda to get rid of pet odor in your doggo.
It is one of many home remedies for smelly dog. It’s completely safe and harmless to your dog. Just rub a light amount all over your dog and observe as the smell diminishes.
Baking soda is one of the best eliminators to get rid of pet odor. You can also make your pet odor eliminator spray by dissolving baking soda in water.
- Mix equal parts baking soda and water in a spray bottle.
- Apply this mixture on your pet directly or in the general area they occupy.
10. Invest In a Clean Pet Mat/ Paw Soak
Maybe the odor comes when your pet tracks dirt from outside into the house.
You can eliminate this by buying one or designing one for yourself.
A simple towel works fine, just apply baking soda now and again. Also, teach your pet to walk over the towel whenever they’re done playing outside.
11. Maybe One More Bath
If after everything, you are still wondering how to eliminate pet odor in the air, maybe try more baths.
Every pet owner believes they’re being the best parents, and that may be true. However, some of these odor complaints can be solved by giving your doggo one more bath.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to remove shed fur from your pet.
- Give your pet a thorough bath.
- When you’re done bathing them, rub their fur with some baking soda. Don’t worry, it’s completely safe for your pet.
This is one surefire way to help you get rid of pet odor.
Gone are the days when pet odors and stains are the biggest concern of pet owners. Nowadays, there are thrifty, fun ways to get rid of pet odor. The best part? You can do them without any form of supervision.
Go forth and enjoy an odor-free relationship with your pets.