Healthy Meal Prep Ideas for Weight Loss: There are a few myths concerning weight loss.
Here is a couple of them: “It’s expensive to eat healthy” and “Healthy foods aren’t tasty”.
We’re about to debunk both with this list of meal prep ideas for weight loss.
These recipes to lose weight in a healthy way are not just on a budget, they’re delicious too.
You don’t even need to take our word for it.
Give one of them a try, and you get what we’re talking about.
Your weight loss journey does not need to be laden with foods that taste plain and require a strong will to eat.
Here’s an opportunity to indulge in delicious, easy-to-make meal prep for weight loss that won’t cost you a ton.
You’ll even get to use some leftovers in your refrigerator.
Now let’s get started.
9 Healthy Meal Prep Ideas for Weight Loss on a Budget
1. Chicken Fajita
This is an American/Mexican style of food.
It takes 30 minutes of prep and cook time.
This gluten-free meal is spicy, yet low on calories, making it a great option for weight loss.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- One teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper ground
- A teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Quinoa
- ¼ cup Cilantro
Chicken and Peppers:
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Two deseeded and sliced red bell peppers
- 2 deseeded and sliced yellow bell peppers
- 1 deseeded and sliced green bell pepper
- One teaspoon minced garlic
- A tablespoon lime juice
- 1 large onion sliced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Diced avocados
- Lime wedges
- Mix the chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin powder, ground pepper, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Add half of the fajita seasoning, minced garlic, lime juice, and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken and leave it to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the chicken.
- Make it cooked for 10-12 minutes, till the chicken is slightly crispy.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and add onions and bell peppers to the pan of olive oil.
- Add the remaining fajita seasoning and stir-fry for 3 minutes on high heat.
Cilantro Lime Quinoa:
- Wash the quinoa a few times in cold water.
- Add two cups of water and ¼ teaspoon of salt to a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer and cook for 20 minutes or till the quinoa is fluffy.
- Then add lime juice and cilantro, and mix.
- Package the food in lunch boxes and let it cool before placing the lid.
- Store this delicious meal in the refrigerator and simply microwave it when you need to eat.
2. Chicken Burrito
We’re going Mexican with this meal prep idea for weight loss.
This is full of flavors, highly nutritious, and will give you a good supply of energy to power through your day.
Of course, it’s delicious.
- 5 cups water
- ¼ Tsp cayenne
- 1 cup basmati rice
- ½ Tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ Tsp black pepper
- 1 lb chicken breasts 450g
- ½ Tsp salt
- ¼ Tsp black pepper
- 14-ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 7-ounce can of corns drained
- 4 tbsp of Caesar dressing
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- Place chicken breasts in a pot. Season with salt and black pepper. Cover the chicken with 1 inch of water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce the heat.
- Let it simmer until the chicken is has cooked fully or reaches the temperature of 165 F.
- That should take about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the water and let it cool down before shredding.
- Rinse your rice in a mesh strainer
- Cook in a saucepan.
- Take the lid off and let it simmer.
- When it bubbles, place the lid and lower the heat.
- Cook for a further 7 minutes
- Mix in the paprika, cumin, cayenne, and black pepper.
- Cover the rice and cook for another 5 minutes
- Remove from the stove and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Fluff before serving.
- This meal will make four bowls.
- So, you can grab it when you’re ready and dig in.
3. Veggies and Roasted Chicken
A plate full of colors and nutrition is what this meal prep for weight loss will give you.
Your taste buds will smile with every bite of this meal.
For something this good to be so easy to make, it’s a must-have simple meal prep idea.
- 2-4 cups cooked rice of choice optional
- 1 cup broccoli florets frozen or fresh
- 2 medium chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 small chopped red onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup grape or plum tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chopped medium-size zucchini
Read Also – Easy Low and Slow Cook Ribs in Oven Recipes
- Pre-heat your oven to 450F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside
- Place the chicken and veggies in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle all the spices and garlic evenly over the chicken and veggies and drizzle with the olive oil
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the veggies are charred.
- Serve ½ or 1 cup of cooked rice into 4 individual meal prep containers.
- Divide chicken and veggies evenly on top of the rice.
- Cover and store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
4. Shrimp Taco for Weight Loss
Light, healthy, and tasty, what more can you ask from a lunch meal prep idea for weight loss.
A bowl of this meal is full of nutrition.
Shrimps give you protein, antioxidants, and vitamins D and B3.
It takes 25 minutes and you can store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- 20 peeled medium shrimp
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 cup of corn drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 lime cut into 4 slices
Cooking the Shrimp:
- Whisk olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili, onion powders, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add in the shrimps and toss to coat completely.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and the shrimp. Cook on medium-high heat, until pink and cooked through.
- Divide the brown rice into 4 meal prep containers.
- Top with 5 shrimps, a scoop of black beans, corn, tomatoes, a sprinkle of cheese, cilantro, and a slice of lime.
- You can heat the bowls in a microwave when you’re ready to eat.
- Drizzle with lime juice and top with salsa, sour cream or guacamole as you desire.
5. Zucchini Noodles and Turkey Meat Balls
From the name, you can tell this is a healthy and effective meal prep idea for weight loss.
If you want a healthy meal prep idea for a week, let this one be one of them.
A warning though, you might start questioning your love for pasta after tasking this.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound of spiralized zucchini
- 2 cups marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
- ¼ Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large egg yolks
- ¼ Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- ¼ Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ Cup Panko
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ Teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a baking dish or coat with nonstick spray
- Mix ground turkey, Panko, Parmesan, egg yolks, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- Roll the mixture into 2-inch meatballs.
- That should form about 24 meatballs
- Place the meatballs on the baking dish and let it bake for 20 minutes, until all sides are brown and the meatballs are cooked.
- Place the zucchini in a colander over the sink.
- Add salt and gently toss to combine; let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook zucchini for 1 minute and drain.
- Divide the zucchini into meal prep containers.
- Top with meatballs, marinara sauce, and Parmesan
6. Mediterranean Hummus for Flat Belly
Mediterranean foods are a weight-loss diet on their own.
So, this meal prep idea for weight loss will definitely serve its purpose.
- ½ lb. ground beef
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 2 ozes of crumbled feta
- 1 cup hummus
- ¼ Red onion
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes
- ½ English cucumber
- A handful of freshly chopped parsley
- Add the ground beef to a skillet along with the oregano, cumin, garlic powder, and salt.
- Cook and stir the beef over medium heat until it’s brown and fully combined with the spices.
- To serve in bowls, add 1 cup rice and ¼ cup hummus to each bowl.
- Divide the remaining ingredients among the four bowls.
- Refrigerate to keep it fresh till you’re ready to eat.
7. Sweet Potato Hash for Weight Loss
You can still satisfy your sweet tooth with this healthy meal prep idea for weight loss.
The sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and onions add some sweetness and flavor to this meal.
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- One each of red, green and yellow pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 medium-sized red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Two tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
Read Also –EASY 7-DAY DIET PLANS TO LOSE WEIGHT FOR WOMEN
- Preheat the olive oil in a large skillet on med-high heat.
- Add sweet potatoes and half of the chili powder, then a sprinkle of salt.
- Sauté for 20 minutes until they’ve softened, while stirring occasionally.
- Mix the ingredients for sausage.
- Add the mixture to a skillet once the sweet potatoes have cooked.
- Break up the sausage with a spoon and cook for 4 minutes until it is brown.
- Add the bell peppers, onions, and remaining chili powder, salt, and pepper, then cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and remove from heat.
- Divide into meal prep bowls.
- This meal can last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
8. Jerk Chicken with Yellow Rice
Here’s a meal full of flavor you can eat for lunch or dinner.
Prepare this meal prep for weight loss ideas and store them in batches.
Cook once and eat 4 times!
It’s a lovely way to save time, and money, while you lose some weight.
- 2 cups diced pineapple
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- One can of drained and rinsed black beans
- 1/5 oz package of cooked yellow rice
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Mix the pineapple, cilantro, and red onion in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Sprinkle jerk seasoning over chicken and stir to coat.
- Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray and add the chicken.
- Cook on medium heat until cooked.
- Serve the rice, black beans, chicken, and pineapple salsa into 4 containers and store till you’re ready to eat.
9. Salmon Patties with Coleslaw
Your colleagues will envy you if you take this meal prep for weight loss to work.
You won’t want to eat a sandwich at work again.
The salmon is rich in protein and Omega-3, which is great for heart health.
- 10 oz. wild salmon, canned or fresh salmon
- 1 medium egg
- One tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- ½ Cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking
- ¼ Cup white onion minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives minced
- 4 cups cabbage, purple, green or a mix of shredded
- 2 green onions’ root ends were removed and sliced thin
- ½ carrot peeled and shredded
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- ½ Tsp garlic minced
- ¼ Cup mayo
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small mason jar.
- Close with the lid and shake well
- Add all the ingredients for the salmon in a bowl and mix
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan
- Form into 6 patties
- Handle carefully because they don’t hold well when they are not cooked
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side until golden brown
- Place all the ingredients for coleslaw in a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour the dressing and mix again
- Place an even number of salmon patties and coleslaw salad into medium glass containers.
- Cover with the lid and place in the fridge.
- The food will last for up to 4 days.
- Top each bowl with dried avocado and green onions if you prefer.
Meal preps are a great way to save time and money by ordering food.
Indeed, you can cook delicious meals in batches and store them till you need them.
Our healthy meal prep ideas for weight loss are a great way to go.
Despite your busy schedule, try the recipes on this list to help you eat healthily.